This post is sponsored by Hillshire Brands via the Mom It Forward Blogger Network, but all opinions and this recipe are my own!
I’ve been focused on protein lately, not only my own protein intake but also making sure that the whole family gets enough of it. The kids would eat pasta for dinner every day if they had the choice, so I’m always trying to be creative with interesting meals that have a good source of protein. This week I was able to try something new from the Hillshire Brands line – Hillshire Farm American Craft Smoked Sausage, and I whipped up a tasty dish with it: Sausage, Peppers, and Onions Over Quinoa.
I was able to use a coupon to buy the sausage with a discount from Safeway – bonus! It was through the new (or maybe just new-to-me) Just for U e-coupon service on Safeway’s website, and the coupon was electronically added to my Safeway account. Some sort of voodoo magic happening there – totally convenient. Especially since I had left my wallet at home and had to trek home and back to the Safeway late at night in the pouring rain while they held my order by the register – I really didn’t need to be messing with physical coupons right then!
The American Craft line are fancier, flavored versions of the Hillshire Farm Sausages, and there are a few varieties to choose from – Craft Beer Brat, Jalepeno & Cheddar, Garlic & Onion, and Smoky Bourbon. I was most intrigued by the Craft Beer Brat, but my Safeway didn’t happen to carry it. I was tempted by the Jalepeno & Cheddar, but wanted to go with something I knew my kids would eat. [Although if I made the Jalepeno, that would mean more for me, right? Hmmm, not strategic on my part!].
So I went with the Garlic & Onion flavor. This way I could spruce it up with my own seasonings. Turns out, it didn’t need much!
The sausage has an awesome flavor all on its own and I would have been happy with it just grilled, but it’s a rainy October week and the grill is sad and lonely out in the yard. It worked very well with the ingredients I used, and was tasty over the quinoa.
I first learned about quinoa when I was doing Weight Watchers – I had never heard of it before that and was on a mission to healthify my meals. I loved the taste and loved that it’s a a fabulous source of protein and other nutrients like fiber and iron.
So I decided to pair my American Craft sausage with quinoa since it sounded like a delicious combination. It was!
I’m excited to share the recipe – we think it’s delicious. Be warned that we’re paprika freaks. I actually added more than the recipe calls for and toned it down just for you. A teaspoon should be fine, we’re just paprika-crazy in this house.
SAUSAGE, PEPPERS, AND ONIONS OVER QUINOA
- 1 cup quinoa
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 package Hillshire Farm American Craft Garlic & Onion sausage (14.5 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika (adjust to your taste, we're paprika lovers)
- 1 Tbsp. basil (I used fresh basil paste found in the produce section of the grocery store)
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. I use a pre-rinsed variety, but if your package doesn't specify then rinse the quinoa before using.
- To cook the sausage: Bring ⅔ cup of water to a boil in a large skillet. Add sausage, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 10-12 minutes or until heated thoroughly, turning once.
- Remove sausage from pan and set aside. Let it cool and slice into bite sized rounds.
- Drain water from pan and return to stove.
- Add olive oil, garlic, and onions and cook on medium high heat until onions begin to soften.
- Stir in red peppers, green peppers, and mushrooms.
- Add white wine, lemon juice, paprika, and basil and stir.
- Cook until peppers soften and flavors mix.
- Add cooked sausage slices to pan and cook 2-3 minutes, or until heated thoroughly and flavors are blended.
- Serve sausage and pepper mixture over quinoa.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
I was really (and truly!) impressed with the Safeway Just for U e-coupon system – you can use it for so many other Hillshire Brands products, so be sure to check it out if you need to add more protein into your life.
I thought I’d share more recipes using Hillshire Brands sausage products – enjoy!
- Spicy Smoked Sausage Wraps
- Smoked Sausage, Eggs, and Potatoes for Breakfast
- Crustless Sausage Zucchini Quiche
- Gluten Free Sausage and Pea Alfredo
- Sausage and Peppers with Crispy Polenta
- Smoked Sausage and Pierogies
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Pork Chops
- Kielbasa with Apples, Potatoes, and Peppers
What’s your favorite dish with smoked sausage?
Have you ever used an electronic coupon?