Friday Five: Ways the Second Whole 30 is Easier Than the First

Okay, seriously, this week has gone crazy fast. It’s already Friday and time for the Friday Five! My co-hosts Courtney, Mar, and I chose a “Free Friday”. Free, as in: pick a theme, any theme, your favorite theme, your randomness, your five genius ideas – whatever ya got for us today! The theme I chose is “Five Ways the Second Whole 30 is Easier Than the First“!

5 Ways the Second Whole 30 is Easier Than the First

I’ve been meaning to recap my Whole 30 Round 2 experience, and what better time than this week where I’ve had a potpourri of posts – if you missed them this week we had a-little-a-this, a-little-a-that. There was…

And then yesterday was quiet here on the blog because Wednesday night, instead of writing, I drank wine on my neighbor’s deck and then came home and fell asleep on my couch. Oh yeah, I’m old!

So speaking of wine, let’s get down to the post du jour, where I went without wine for 30 days. You want to know about this Whole 30 business. First, remember three things:

1. I don’t eat Paleo style as a regular thing. I definitely enjoy carbs and dairy, especially when I’m in training mode.
  2. I did this as a detox to reset some bad eating habits that were creeping back in. I knew I needed a strict, structured program to be able to gain control and enjoy a healthy diet while training.
  3. I have limited time to cook, and my husband does our weeknight cooking since I’m sitting in DC traffic at that time.

So I was a little nervous going into this from a time perspective – but it went great overall! So here are

Five Ways the Second Whole 30 is Easier Than the First!

1. You can do your grocery shopping without a book, a pamphlet, a Whole 30 Shopping List, and Google open on your phone.

Whole 30 resources

2. You already have your go-to snacks planned out and can quickly buy them and/or prepare them. And, your go-to breakfast is appealing day after day!

Whole 30 breakfast eggs blueberries

Fried Eggs with Shredded Coconut
Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 1

My go-to Whole 30 Breakfast!
Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp Coconut Oil
  • Shredded unsweetened coconut - to taste
  • Blueberries or other fruit on the side
Instructions
  1. Heat a non-stick pan, then add the coconut oil
  2. Turn pan so that oil coats the pan
  3. Crack each egg into the pan
  4. Fry eggs until they are cooked enough to turn, then flip
  5. Fry the eggs on the second side until cooked almost to your liking (runny vs. not runny yolk)
  6. Sprinkle unsweetened shredded coconut over the eggs and cook another minute or two.
  7. Serve with blueberries or another fruit.

3. Your coworkers, friends, and family have already been through this once with you and don’t give you as many questions and weird stares. And they’re less likely to be “pushers” of desserts and drinks.

Whole 30 Meme

4. You already know that on Day 4-5 you will want to Kill all the Things and don’t wonder if you’re PMSing, losing your mind, or having a midlife crisis.

I'm sorry for what I said when I was hungry.

5. You can approach it knowing that “it’s only 30 days” because you’ve made it through once and remember how detoxing from processed food, sugar, and wine was so worth it.

Nonalcoholic fruit drink

See, it’s my non-alcoholic fruit drink out to dinner one night!

A total sugar bomb but a way to have something fun and not miss the wine.

So I have a wee little confession: I re-introduced grains a couple days before the 30 days was up, but in a very “clean” and healthy way. I needed to adjust my body before the trip to NYC for the New York City Triathlon. I’m now enjoying a regular diet, but eating pretty healthy overall and trying to stick with whole, unprocessed foods as much as possible.

If I do another detox or re-set, I will likely try another No-Sugar Challenge, since it seems to be the overt, the added, and the hidden sugar that gets me on the wrong track. I’m happy with my whole grains and dairy added back in during my high intensity weeks.

Head over to my Six Sugar Detox Strategies if you need some tips for cleaning up the sugar fest in your diet!

What’s your go-to breakfast?

What’s one food or drink you couldn’t live without for 30 days?

Link up your Friday Five post below! Remember to link back to one or all of the host blogs, visit other blogs in the linkup and leave a comment, and please ONLY link up a Friday Five post! This isn’t a linkup for random posts or the general link to your blog. Thank you, friends!

DC_linkup

Cynthia @ You Signed Up For What?!
Connect!

Cynthia @ You Signed Up For What?!

Cynthia Steele is a runner, triathlete, & working mom of 3 little kids. She has lost 50 pounds through fitness and healthy eating and writes about fitting in all this crazy stuff while juggling work and kids.
Cynthia @ You Signed Up For What?!
Connect!

Latest posts by Cynthia @ You Signed Up For What?! (see all)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Rate this recipe:

CommentLuv badge

Comments

1. says

My go to breakfast has changed so much over the years! I go in really long streak. For so long it was a bagel and cream cheese, then gluten free oatmeal, then quinoa, then sweet potatoes and nut butter. Now it’s a sandwich on paleo bread (turkey or egg with some avocado) and on some days, sweet potato with nut butter.
    M recently posted…Friday Five – Free Friday Randomness!My Profile

2. says

Your go to brekky sounds tasty! However, I would be hungry after a couple of hours! I ate so much during my Whole30 that I’m surprised I even lost weight! haha! Congrats on finishing again though! …I just finished my first one but i am doing 80:20 at the moment!
    Elle @ keep it simpElle recently posted…Whole30 Days 21 – 30My Profile

3. says

I was paleo for a couple of years, seeing as it felt so good for my system, but I found out that I was just intolerant to dairy and gluten. Which is why t felt so wonderfully normal!
    I could not live without peanut butter for 30 days. I eat wayyyyyy too much for the average healthy person.
    My go-to breakfast is gluten free oatmeal mixed with cinnamon and topped with a dollop of PB, a sliced banana, chia seeds and a drizzle of agave.
    Hannah @ Hannah The Healthnut recently posted…Monthly goals halfway updateMy Profile

4. says

Cynthia, I did a paleo-type (sort of Whole30, I guess, because I used some of their resources) for about a month and, while I did feel completely amazing, I, too, was delighted to bring some grains back into my diet. It certainly helped me become more mindful again about what I was eating and snacking on and has helped me continue to make better choices. Yay for you!! Hope you have a fabulous weekend and, as usual, thanks for this amazing link-up and your support!
    Tara @ Running ‘N’ Reading recently posted…5 Reasons Why You Should Run ShirtlessMy Profile

5. says

I didn’t make it past the “I hate everyone” stage on day 5 LOL. And, honestly, I don’t drink a lot of beer, but have never successfully given up my Friday night beer. We always go out on Friday night, usually to a brewpub, and I just don’t have the willpower to give up that one yummy beer.
    MCM Mama recently posted…But I don’t WANT to run a marathonMy Profile

6. says

My go to breakfast is stove-top cooked oatmeal sweetened with a bit of brown sugar and topped with 1/2 banana, walnuts and a splash of milk. This breakfast holds me over very well. I could not go without coffee, peanut butter or eggs for 30 days! Coffee, well, because it is coffee and PB and eggs because they are staples in my diet! I hope you are in a better spot with your eating habits now!
    Lee@tri*inspired*life recently posted…Ironman Lake Placid – The BikeMy Profile

7. says

I had to laugh at #3 on your list. I have to confess I’ve never done the Whole 30. Instead I went Paleo in February of this year. Fortunately, there are some other members in my family who have done things like Atkins, so I didn’t get completely weird stares, but I have had some friends continue to pester me with, “How do you NOT eat bread? How do you NOT have dessert?” My Paleo approach is 80/20, so I still have brown rice now and again, but I have found that this way of eating is much better for my health, sanity, and well-being!
    Marnie @ SuperSmartMama recently posted…Friday Five: Colorado!My Profile

8. says

Oh the pushers! I love my bf to death but he is the worst. He will pour me a glass of wine or offer to cook the minute I start a detox like this. Really tries my self control! But yes, the second time around seems much better than the first. At least you know what you’re getting in to :)
    Ursula recently posted…Instagram; LatelyMy Profile

9. says

I don’t know anything about the Whole 30, but sounds tough! Good for you! I My go-to breakfast is usually greek yogurt with some granola (no idea if that fits into the rules?!). I think a beverage I’d have trouble giving up is my daily pop. I know I know, I shouldn’t drink it at all, but I just love it! haha. Some people drink coffee, I drink pop, though I do limit myself to one a day.
    Heather Runs Thirteen Point One recently posted…friday five: free fridayMy Profile

10. says

Hmm fried egg with shredded coconut, sounds interesting. My go to breakfast is one of 3 things: greek yogurt with berries and granola, oatmeal with PB (and blueberries) or a bagel with cream cheese. But I also love some eggs, bacon and hash browns which has been the go to post-long ride/run brunch (sometimes lunch) meal this training season.
    Gabi @ LeanGreenIslandGirl recently posted…Friday Five: 5 bloggers That Inspire!My Profile

11. says

Those eggs look delicious! I actually have a second Whole 30 scheduled for October (Weddings and the like are preventing me from doing it any earlier) I’ll definitely have to add that to my breakfasts. I tend to default to pan fried plantains with eggs, delicious!
    Elizabeth recently posted…Non scale victory Friday!My Profile