Happy Friday! If you’re reading this on Friday morning, I’m either having breakfast with my kids, frantically packing the car, or driving from Maryland to Georgia with my dad for Ironman 70.3 Augusta. Or, more likely, I’m curled up in a ball in the corner because this week has officially done me in.
This week. Ahhh, what can I say about this week. I need to think happier thoughts than busy work weeks, injured kids, car repairs, packing for my big race, or writing this post after midnight (hello, it’s 1am). So Courtney, Mar, and I chose Favorite Fall Activities as the theme du jour for the Friday Five linkup. Come play along!
You see, I love fall. LOVE IT!
LOVE LOVE LOVE. Me and Autumn, we’re tight. We love each other, it’s a two-way street. Fall loves me, and I love Fall.
Wait, am I proclaiming my love for Fall too emphatically, or is this cool?
Okay, enough of that, I’m supposed to tell you my Five Favorite Fall Activities!
1. Picking out pumpkins. We have an au pair who lives with us as a member of the family and take care of the kids while we work. It’s fabulous, we love it. Last year our au pair was from France, this year from Germany. We include them in family activities so naturally when Fall rolls around, we go pick out and carve some pumpkins. Last year, we didn’t even go to a proper farm – because of time constraints we just went to a farmer’s market. But it was still fun to see their excitement and let each of the kids pick their own pumpkin! We then carved the pumpkins, but that’s not my favorite part. It’s a lot of work.
2. Trick or Treating with the kids. Our neighborhood is the BEST on Halloween. It’s incredible – people go all-out decorating with music, lights, and festive decorations. My kids love it and we love seeing the neighbors and all the costumes. The whole area just comes alive.
3. RUNNING. How can this only be #3 on this list? I love fall running – the air is cooler but not so cold my hands are numb, the trees look gorgeous, the sky isn’t totally pitch black yet. It’s my favey. Here’s a pic that I posted a year ago at the start of Fall.
4. The Thanksgiving Walk. This is later in the fall, but Thanksgiving has got to be my favorite holiday. We all gather at my mom and dad’s house and spend a great day with family. And we eat yummy food. Then we go for our traditional Thanksgiving walk around the lake near their house.
Then we head back inside for dessert after that fun walk. My husband always says you have to pick your camp: are you a walker or a sitter after Thanksgiving dinner? I started the walking group years ago and it gets larger every year.
5. Outside fun with the kids. There’s something about Fall that makes me want to go outside and help the kids with bike riding, or take walks around the neighborhood. It’s not crazy hot and it just feels like outdoors time!
In my Fall Fitness Fun post, I mentioned Fall soccer season so I figured I’d list some other things this time!
After this weekend’s half Ironman in Augusta, I move into running season again! I’ll be going for my sub-2-hour half marathon PR and starting to run longer distances. I am toying with a later Fall marathon or perhaps just one more half marathon. I may be already registered for something, but I’m still trying to work out whether it will be the half or the full so I haven’t spilled the beans! I haven’t done a full marathon since 2007 so I’m waiting to see how I feel after Sunday’s big race.
Wish me luck this weekend! If you want to follow my Augusta adventures, I’ll be posting on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and I’ll try to post here on the blog as well, so be sure to subscribe by email or via Bloglovin to not miss a thing. Also, there is Athlete Tracking for Ironman 70.3 Augusta – I’m bib #2102!
What’s your favorite thing about Fall?
Do you have a Fall race planned?