Happy Friday! It’s been a busy week, but not because of fitness and races that I usually talk about here. It’s been mostly related to my kids – this morning I have a parent-teacher conference regarding my 3rd grade daughter. Yesterday I had an Early Intervention meeting regarding my almost-3 year old. The kids are keeping me busy these days and work is really busy too! Because it’s been this kind of week, I’m happy for the peppy and laid-back Friday Five theme of “Friday Favorites”, which I’ve dubbed “December Favorites” in honor of the first week of December. Join the linkup with me, Courtney from Eat, Pray Run, DC and Mar from Mar on the Run at the bottom of the post!
Image courtesy of Eat Pray Run, DC
So… here are a few of my favorite things this week:
1. Swimming. I’m trying to pick up my swimming frequency because my running frequency has seriously tanked since the Philadelphia Marathon. Coincidentally, there’s a Triathlon Club challenge that started this week, and since I was already focusing on swimming, I hopped on board one of the DC Tri Club Teams to have extra motivation to get into the pool.
2. My youngest’s 3rd birthday. Next week is the little guy’s birthday and I’m excited for a low-key family event. Even though he insists that he’s four (or “bour“, since he can’t say the “F” sound), he’s turning 3 and we’re going to make sure he is celebrated! I’ve been looking back at his birth photos this week. He was just a fraction of an ounce shy of 11 pounds. Yes, you read that right.
Now he’s turning 3 and is normal-sized, so don’t worry – he didn’t remain a giant. He’s a sweet, loving boy who needs a little special help with speech and other things. So pretty soon he’s going to start in a preschool. I can’t imagine this little baby of mine getting on a bus and going to school! I’m having a little trouble adjusting to the thought of it, but I’m working on it…
3. Holiday shopping. I am ROCKING the holiday shopping already. I love online shopping since I barely have time to get to stores. I typically do most of it on Amazon and then do 1-2 in-person shopping trips when Christmas gets closer. I have Amazon Prime and everything arrives a couple days later – the boxes are already starting to pile up.
My problem is that I’ve bought a few things for myself this week, what with Cyber Monday sales and other good deals. I know I needed a second bathing suit due to #1 on this list, but I’ve got to keep the reins in with the shopping and only buy gifts from now on!
Shameless plug for my holiday gift guide for triathletes here. If you need gift ideas or are shopping for yourself, check it out! And ask me if you have any questions or need other recommendations!
4. Relaxing. I’ll admit that I haven’t been a go-getter with my morning workouts this week. I’ve made it to swimming at 6:30am a couple times, but haven’t gotten outside to run in the early mornings as I intended. I’m allowing myself the week. Just the week.
5. The Elf on the Shelf. Don’t laugh, I know people either love or loathe the Elf on the Shelf. We love ours! The kids named him “Magical Mitchell” last year and they’ve been waiting all year for him to return.
My daughter has such a good memory that when Thanksgiving was first mentioned she shouted “the day after Thanksgiving is when the Elf will return!” I promptly put a note on my Google calendar. I should write up the story of the Elf’s return – it wasn’t quite that simple and involved me out at a store on Black Friday in the middle of the night…
Our Elf on the Shelf doesn’t get into any mischief, he doesn’t make any messes, and he doesn’t do any tricks. I don’t have time for all that crazy stuff! He simply appears in a new spot every day. It takes about 2 seconds and the kids love it. Every morning is like a treasure hunt for Magical Mitchell.
So that’s basically my week. Remember to visit a few of the blogs in the linkup and leave a supportive comment. And don’t forget the blogs at the end of the list!
What is something that’s on your “favorite” list this week?
If you have kids, do you have an Elf on the Shelf?