Friday – my favorite day of the week this week because i’s the Friday Five linkup with me, Eat Pray Run, DC and Mar on the Run! Our theme this week is “Race Day”. You can spin it any way you want to and link up below. Be sure to follow the link up rules or your link will be deleted.
Race day – what can I say, I love it! Of course that’s the whole thing here – I sign up for things and then do them. I signed up for THAT. So of course I think race day is awesome!
Here are 5 reasons why I love race day:
1. The Starting Line Energy. The energy is palpable at the starting line. It’s an amazing electrical current running through all the racers.
Who’s that? Why, that’s just Run Salt Run at the starting line of the Baltimore Half Marathon this past October.
2. Seeing an area through the lens of a runner. I never would have run on the streets of Baltimore, or through Philadelphia, or through Cinderella’s Castle if it hadn’t been for race day. It’s so cool to get to run a course without traffic on city streets, or through a neighborhood I have never seen before.
3. The challenge. It has to be said that the challenge is a good reason to run a race. Can I go the distance? Can I beat my best time and achieve a new PR? Whatever the challenge that day, it’s something to thrive on.
4. Pushing myself. As for #3, it’s sometimes necessary to push yourself further than you ever have before. To see if you can physically and mentally crack the boundaries of your limitations. Can I push it one more mile? Can I make it three more miles? Can I do it at this pace? It’s race day, baby.
5. The finish line. Oh the joy of seeing the finish line in sight! And then getting the race medal and feeling proud and relieved that it’s done.
And then signing up for another one.
PS – another giveaway will be posted in the next 24 hours – I got a little behind this week! And don’t miss yesterday’s post about Open Water Swimming if you’re into triathlons!