It’s a gorgeous Friday here in Washington, DC! It’s finally Springtime and it just couldn’t be nicer the past two days. I have so much to recap and have had no time to write this week. So for today’s Friday Five hosted by me, Courtney, and Mar, the theme is “Free Friday”. So I’m going to share five moments from my Fitcation last weekend! Link up your “Five” post below!
As you may recall I was on a triathlon team called the LUNA Chix last year. We ran workouts for women, clinics, and generally supported women getting involved in an active lifestyle and training for triathlons in particular. This year we’ve turned into a run team, which offers a lot of great opportunities! Last weekend all 11 of us went on a Team Retreat to Charlottesville, VA for a getaway, to plan our season, and to get in some fitness fun!
Here are five moments from my fitcation weekend with the LUNA Chix!
1. The escape. I drove to Charlottesville with my friend Tamieka, who is new on the team this year. We’ve known each other for a while and I’m excited she’s now a LUNA Chix teammate! There was something about driving out of Washington, DC with all my fitness clothes packed in a suitcase in the back that was very freeing.
We arrived in Charlottesville and immediately went to packet pick up for the Charlottesville Ten Miler, then met our group for dinner at the Whiskey Jar.
2. The Charlottesville Ten Miler. I suppose not everyone takes a girls weekend and then gets up before 6am to run a cold, hilly race, no? Well, we did and we loved it! A race recap is coming, but in essence: Hills, hills hills but a gorgeous course, well organized, and I ran it in 1:26:42, an average pace of 8:40/mile. I felt great!
3. Barre/Core Class. What do you really want to do on tired legs after running a crazy hilly Ten Miler? Make them shake from barre, of course! It was good for my core and I had missed barre classes.
4. Yoga and Stretching. We had a yoga teacher come to the house we were staying at on Sunday morning and that was lovely! It was a lot of stretching out our tired legs.
5. Planning, laughing, bonding. It was just such a great weekend for enjoying each other’s company and getting to know each other. We mapped out our season with weekly track workouts, clinics, and team races, and had a great time. We enjoyed Charlottesville and can’t wait represent LUNA Bar and Clif Bar & Company throughout the year encouraging women to get out and play!
We learned to do a proper jump! Some of us are hidden behind the others but still – FUN!
The team is amazing – so many great athletes and people. And we are all bonded through our common mission. We also ate and drank a lot of wonderful food in Charlottesville!
My coffee mug at breakfast Sunday morning.