Happy Friday and welcome to July – how did that happen? I’m excited for the Fourth of July weekend in some ways, but it’s not a holiday weekend for me. In fact, I work a ton of hours on July 2, 3, and 4 for a very large Fourth of July concert, and it’s so I don’t have much free time. I’m coming off a long single mom stretch so I thought for today’s Friday Five I can celebrate my successes and talk about 5 Ways to Work Out With Kids Around. Because I’ve done a lot of that this week. Link up with me, Courtney, and Mar below for the Friday Five – today’s theme is Fitness.
1. Use what you’ve got. I’m fortunate to have won a spin bike last year, but you can make a workout with anything you have around – a yoga mat, the stairs in your house, a bike on a bike trainer, or some hand weights and the floor.
I have a hand-me-down bike trainer but I also am fortunate to have won a spin bike last summer, and just got a hand-me-down treadmill a few days ago. I’ve fixed light sabers from the bike, mediated fights, and more parenting tricks while exercising.
2. You walk or run, they bike. My favorite workouts are walks or runs with the kids biking and scootering beside me. Just this week I took the dog on a long walk with the kids riding bikes and scooters alongside. It was fun!
3. Find an activity you can do together. I found the best workout: tennis. That’s because I’m not very good at it and I’m constantly chasing balls. So what’s a better workout than me playing tennis? Me playing tennis with my kids, who know nothing about how to play tennis. I’m constantly running around the court chasing after kids and balls – it doesn’t get much more active than that.
4. Take it to the mat. Home videos are one of my go-to workouts when kids are sleeping, and I’ve been building up my strength and core in the process. I’ve mostly been using my Grokker fitness subscription, and have found some great HIIT workouts on the streaming platform.
5. Go out and seek adventures together. From ice skating rinks to swimming pools to trampoline parks, there are plenty of places where you can get in a cross training workout with the kids.
I have a blast at the trampoline places when my kids attend birthday parties.
And it doesn’t have to cost money – use nature and go for a hike in the woods!
I’ve gotten in almost all my workouts this week except the swimming ones, because I haven’t been able to leave the kids to go to a pool. But the highlight of my work out with kids was the three miles with the running stroller. We hadn’t done this in a while but I loved it and so did he!