I realized something recently – I’m not always the best at staying hydrated throughout the busy day. It’s one thing to hydrate before, during, and after my workouts. But the best practice is to hydrate continually throughout the day. I go through phases – drinking water like a champ for days on end, but then I often let is slide on really busy, active days. Summer has arrived and I’m running outside, walking the dog, and taking my kids outdoors a lot and it’s getting hot. I come back from even a simple walk and I’m dripping with sweat.I have a job where I’m on my feet backstage or at events, and I’m moderately active most days even without going for a run, doing yoga, or another activity. So I put together some tips for staying hydrated throughout my busy days to share what works best. Because when it works well, it’s awesome! (FYI, This post is sponsored by BODYARMOR but as you’ll see, all opinions and tips are my own and I love it!)
5 Tips for Staying Hydrated Throughout the Busy Day
1. BE PREPARED. This may sound simple, but carry a bottle or a drink with you all the time! I find that it’s out-of-sight, out-of-mind with hydration. Having the visual reminder is key.
2. LOG IT. It doesn’t matter how you log it, just the simple act of logging your hydration can take you from inconsistent to a rockstar with hydration. I use a website/app to track my food right now, and there’s a hydration counter on there as well. I just click every time I drink water or another hydration and I can see how well I’m doing!
3. SET A TIMER. You can do this on your phone or watch, but set a little beep at intervals to remind you to hydrate!
4. SPRUCE UP YOUR WATER. Add slices of fruit or use a water infuser bottle to add flavor to your water.
5. FIND A DRINK YOU LOVE. Hydration doesn’t have to be water. Find a drink you love, and sip on that between activities!
But be careful – a lot of drinks are high in calories, sugar, and have unnecessary ingredients so if you’re sipping on something that’s going to give you a sugar boost, then a crash, this can really swing your energy levels.
I have a bit of a love affair with BODYARMOR sports drink. You may recall that I’ve reviewed it before, and told you how much loved it a few years ago. In fact, I’ve written about it twice. That’s how much I loved it. Recently, BODYARMOR sent me a cooler full of a new product to try – BODYARMOR LYTE, and I’ve been enjoying it as I run around doing all my favorite summer activities.
It’s not sickly sweet. It’s refreshing and has a great flavor. It’s more like a “sports water” than a “sports drink”, but the flavor is really complex compared to a lot of flavored waters.
But since I’ve cut most of the sugar out of my diet lately, BODYARMOR LYTE is great since it’s not very sweet and only has 3g of sugar. It’s naturally sweetened and has only 20 calories per serving. I’m not calorie-counting at the moment, but this is representative to me of what’s going on with the drink – it’s not loaded up with tons of sugar and unnecessary garbage. It contains coconut water, electrolytes and vitamins. It’s gluten free and doesn’t have caffeine, low in sodium and high in potassium. I’ve been trying to make sure my potassium intake is solid lately for leg cramp reasons.
In my area (DC/Maryland), I buy it at Safeway, Wegmans, or Target. I remember being in Wegmans with my kids and my son ran to the cooler case, recognizing the BODYARMOR brand, and begged me to buy him one. Out of all the drinks in that huge cooler. It’s that good. My daughter is the size of a petite adult woman, and she’s pretty active too, so she’s reaching for the BODYARMOR when she wants a refreshing hydration option.
And if you’d like to try it, here’s a coupon for BODYARMOR! It’s one of the keys to my staying hydrated with my active lifestyle.
Staying hydrated throughout busy, active days, but with some pre-planning, helpful reminders or logs, and some options that aren’t water it takes away the thought of hydration as a burden and makes it enjoyable!
How much water or other hydration do you drink throughout the day? Do you tend to forget on busy days? Do you have other tips for staying hydrated?